PURPOSE: This Operating Procedure contains guidelines for award criteria, selection, and presentation of the Dayton Cycling Club (DCC) Annual Awards.
AUTHORITY: The authority for the use and interpretation of these guidelines is the DCC Board of Directors. The procedure applies to all DCC Awards presented to members at the annual awards banquet.
GUIDELINES: The DCC recognizes the achievements of the members annually. DCC members qualifying for an award in any calendar year must be a paid, current member on the last calendar day of the year. All paid-up members are eligible to qualify for awards plaque upon meeting one of two requirements:
· A minimum of 500 miles in one of the following mileage categories: touring, commuting or bikeways
· Volunteer at a DCC event.
Annually thereafter, members can receive bars to hang on those plaques. To qualify for a bar a member must:
- Achieve a minimum of 500 miles in one of the following mileage categories: touring, commuting, bikeways or indoor bike on rollers or indoor trainers (Jan, Feb, Dec Only for indoors). Mileage bars will state both the category and the miles obtained. The mileage bars will be awarded in the following increments:
500 miles (for miles 500 – 999);
1000 miles (for miles 1000 – 1999);
2000 miles (for miles 2000 – 2999);
Mileage over 3000 will reflect actual mileage reported for the year
- Volunteer for DCC event (SAG, Cook, Etc.)
- Ride Leaders of 10 or more DCC touring rides. Ride Leaders of 2 to 9 rides will receive a Volunteer bar
- DCC Board Members will receive bars pertaining to their position held. An additional Volunteer bar will not be given unless the Officer serves in another volunteer capacity. An Officer will also be recognized as a volunteer at the Awards Banquet.
- Receive one of the special or general awards as stated below.
SPECIAL AWARDS: DCC members can be self-nominated or nominated by any DCC member for special awards. Not all awards have to be awarded each year. The following is a list of special awards as voted by a majority of the DCC Board at one of its business meetings.
- Hugo B. Daba Award: This award is named for Hugo B. Daba, who was a long time DCC ride leader. It is awarded to ride leader(s) who demonstrate his qualities:
starting the ride on time
riding with the slowest riders
increasing DCC membership
assisting with bike maintenance as required
assuring safety of the group on the ride.
Recipients of this award will not receive the normal Ride Leader bar for that year.
- Jo Glover Award: DCC member Ken Glover endowed an annual award in memory of his wife, Jo, for the top female (more than 55 years old) DCC member of the year. Recipients are chosen based on their volunteer time donated to the club, their dedication to the sport of cycling, and their participation in other activities.
- Rookie(s) of the Year: Rookie of the Year award is given to a new DCC member who recently got on a bicycle for the first time in years and accumulated impressive mileage. Both male and female Rookies may be nominated and awarded.
- Most Improved: Most Improved Rider award is given to a male and/or female DCC member who made great gains in their bicycling ability through the year.
- Courage Award: The Courage Award is given to DCC members who have overcome a serious injury or illness, were physically unable to ride for an appreciable period of time, and have returned to cycling. Recipients of this award are recognized for having courage by returning to riding for more than just falling and skinning their knees.
- Volunteer of the Year Award: Volunteer(s) of the Year Award are given to recognize a DCC member who has gone beyond the call of duty to the Dayton Cycling Club. Recipients will not receive the normal Volunteer bar for that year.
- Youth Awards (17 and Under): Awards to honor DCC youths who pedal 100 or more miles in a year.
GENERAL AWARDS: These awards are self-nominated or a direct result of the member’s achievements:
- High Mileage: High Mileage awards are given to the male and female with the highest total mileage in the three categories (touring, commuting and bikeways) added together. A High mileage awards will be also be given in each category and will be recognized on the member’s mileage bar (e.g. High Bikeway Male 3287). However, if the High Overall Mileage recipient is also high mileage in a particular category they will only receive the overall mileage bar and not the high category bar.
- Cyclopath Award: Awarded only once to any DCC member who rides at least 500 miles on the bikeways and 125 of those miles are unique. For example, ride a 20-mile roundtrip on a specific bike path route and get credit for 10 miles toward the award no matter how many times during the year you ride that route.
Bar Designations: The following are representative of the bar layout & content:
Hugo B. Daba
Ride Leader of Year
High Commute Male 7023
High Mileage Male 12060
Revisions: Changes to this DCC Operating Procedure may be requested by any DCC member and require a majority vote of the DCC Board of Directors.